4/21/2013

I have been complaining to our Vet for some time that Andy keeps losing weight.  He is on thyroid medicine, but was underweight before we even started the thyroid meds.  He had a bottle brush tail, so at the recommendation of his breeder, I had his thyroid tested.  It was indeed lowDogs suffering from hypothyroidism are usually overweight, though.

Finally, I decided to have Andy checked by another Vet and we found he is suffering from Stage III kidney disease.  He is on meds and a special kidney approved diet.  Many dogs have problems eating the new food, but Andy simply would not eat it.  I couldn't afford to "just let him get hungry enough" since his ribs were already prominent.  I tried adding low salt chicken broth, green beans, and even oregano as various bloggers suggested.  Finally, I just started spoon feeding him.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qTjZPO2mmA 

 Andy is gaining weight and is feeling and acting like his old self.  I don't know how long we can keep him healthy, but each new day is a blessing. 

No comments: