1/31/2007

Barbaro


As much of the nation, I was very moved by Barbaro's plight and courage as he fought to overcome his injuries. I, like many others, was very saddened that he had to be euthanized. Letting go of my beloved Abbey, was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. She was our 4 year old St. Bernard with osteo-arthritis in all of her joints as well as the complication of epilepsy. Her Epilepsy did not appear until after Abbey's first TPLO surgery on her back hind leg. We went on and tried to help her mobility with a second TPLO surgery, but then her epilepsy got worse and the seizure medicines made her weak joints even weaker. After a harrowing week of several seizures a day and no mobility following each seizure, we made the very painful decision that it was time to let her go. I feel for the Barbaro's doctors and owners. I think Gretchen Jackson, a co-owner of Barbaro said it so well, "Grief is the price we all pay for love." I will never get over losing Abbey, but time does heal. Having Andy and Roy, though they could never take Abbey's place, help us remember the joy of loving Abbey.

No comments: