1/18/2007

Finny visit


Over Christmas my daughter brought her dog, Finny, a Chow/Lab mix home. We were worried that the three would not get along and if they didn't, Christmas would not be so much fun keeping doors shut and foes separated. I did my homework on the Internet and we decided to have the dogs meet on neutral territory, out on the road in front of our house. Even though my daughters arrived late at night, we took all the four legged children on a get acquainted midnight stroll. At first Andy barked at Finny, but Finny didn't pay him any mind. We made it home, and all went smoothly.
Since Finny weighs near 40 pounds and Andy and Roy combined don't weigh that much, we assumed Finny would be the Alpha dog. We did not want Finny to get pissed off and decapitate or de-ear Andy or Roy. As it turned out, my ferocious Andy is the Alpha dog and also a tattle-tale.
My boys are not allowed on the furniture. I was in the kitchen cooking and Andy came running in the kitchen barking between the kitchen and the living room. I ran into the living room just as Finny was disembarking from the couch. Little tattle-tale told on him and he got caught!
Andy seemed to rule the roost and would growl and bear his teeth if Finny came too close or did something Andy didn't like. So, apparently size doesn't count when it comes to "Alpha dogness." It is all in the ATTITUDE!
By the end of my daughters' Christmas visit, the three were almost friends. We caught them napping and actually touching each other as they slept! There is hope for the world!

No comments: