5/05/2007

Relay for Life


Friday, May 4th was our county's "Relay for Life" to raise money to combat Cancer. This was my second year to participate. Only another cancer survivor can know what it was like to walk the "survivor's lap" between rows of cheering people who were cheering us on in our battle against cancer. I saw folks there in wheel chairs being pushed by their caregivers, those wearing hats to cover bald "chemo heads," some on crutches, and some like me, who looked perfectly normal. Last year I cried, this year I just appreciated the fact that so many people were cheering us on. Then came the very moving lighting of the luminaries. I had bought 4 luminaries: one each in honor of myself and my brother, and two in memory of my sister-in-law and husband's Aunt who helped raise him. I had already walked the track and found our luminaries and taken pictures of them. Then all the lights in the stadium were darkened and one could only see the luminary lights and those spelling out "HOPE" in the stands. Everyone was quiet as a bagpiper led us in a walk around the track. I saw some folks sobbing by their loved ones luminary as family members embraced. I walked in silence, thankful that I am a survivor and no one is sobbing by my luminary.

No comments: